Friday, June 27, 2014

Herb Focaccia Bread

 

I love leftover night because it means no cooking for me, but sometimes I like to spruce up leftovers with some fresh bread or a yummy salad.  Yesterday I made this to have with some leftover lasagna and it made for a great meal.  Also, I love to make grilled cheese sandwiches out of this bread once it's a day or two old.

I have been making this bread for a few months and always enjoy it.  In the winter I use all dry herbs, but yesterday I used fresh rosemary and thyme.  I didn't measure, but I think I probably went a bit crazy and put in more fresh rosemary than the recipe calls for.  I love how flavorful it was.  Another great thing about this bread--it's just plain fun to be able to poke your fingertips all over some dough.  My 2-year old would definitely agree! 

Herb Focaccia Bread
Note: I've used different combinations of all-purpose flour, bread flour and white whole wheat flour in this bread and it's always been delicious. 
Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour or bread flour
1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
2 large cloves garlic, finely minced
3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more to brush on top
1 cup warm water
Coarse salt

Directions:
1. In a large bowl (or stand mixer), mix the flour, salt, sugar and yeast.  Mix in the garlic and herbs.  Pour in the olive oil and water and mix until the dough comes together.  Knead for about 6-8 minutes, until smooth and elastic.  If the dough is too stiff, add additional tablespoons of water as needed to make a soft and pliable dough. 

2. Cover the bowl with lightly greased plastic wrap and let the dough rise for 30 minutes, until it is puffy.  Deflate dough and let rest for 5 minutes. 

3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.  Lightly grease a baking sheet or line it with a silicone baking mat.  Spread the dough with your hands into an 8x10-inch rectangle.  Use your fingertips to make indentations all over the dough.  Lightly brush the dough's surface with olive oil and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown.

4. Immediately after removing from oven, lightly brush with olive oil again and sprinkle coarse salt over the surface of the bread.  Tear or slice into pieces and serve.

Source: slightly adapted from melskitchencafe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment