Saturday, June 21, 2014

Spring Mix Salad with Strawberries, Grapes, and Almonds


A friend recently brought us dinner and along with some other amazing food, she brought this delicious salad.  It's taken me a long time to realize that salad doesn't just have to consist of some obligatory vegetables to eat with my dinner.  With a little variety, salad can be something to really look forward to.  There are no particularly unusual ingredients in this salad, but I love the combination of greens, sweet fruit, crunchy toasted almonds and parmesan cheese. 
 
Spring Mix Salad with Strawberries, Grapes and Almonds
Note: I used my vegetable peeler to coarsely grate the cheese off a wedge of parmesan.  Also, I think this salad would also be delicious if made with all baby spinach instead of the spinach/spring mix.
Ingredients:
5-6 oz. spinach and spring mix
1/2 lb strawberries, sliced
1 cup halved grapes
1/4 cup coarsely grated parmesan cheese
1/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds
Poppyseed dressing
 
Directions:
1. Place the almonds in a small skillet and toast over medium heat, stirring occasionally until they are light golden brown.  Cool completely.
 
2. Combine all the salad ingredients except for the dressing.  Just before serving drizzle with poppyseed dressing.
 
Source: slightly adapted from my friend, Kate
 

No comments:

Post a Comment