Saturday, January 31, 2015

Berry Avocado Quinoa Salad


As I've mentioned before, one of my dreams is to have an abundance of raspberries growing in my yard.  If that ever happens, I imagine salads like this will make frequent appearances at our table.  This salad is delicious and healthy.  I love the combination of all the different flavors and textures--juicy berries, salty feta, crunchy almonds, little chewy bits of quinoa.  And just about everything is better with avocado, right?

The first time I made this I served it with store-bought poppyseed dressing.  If I end up trying a good homemade dressing I'll have to add an update.  I'd love to find a good oil-free dressing to put on this healthy salad.

Berry Avocado Quinoa  Salad
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
9 oz. baby kale or baby spinach (or a mix of the two)
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
2 medium avocados, peeled, cored and diced
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled

Directions:
Toss all salad ingredients together in a large salad bowl (or divide ingredients and layer on individual plates).  Serve with poppyseed dressing. 

 Source: slightly adapted from www.cookingclassy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment