Friday, January 9, 2015

Avocado Mango Salsa with Coconut Rice


This meal has some of my favorite foods all in one bowl-avocado, mango, and black beans all over some creamy coconut rice.  It comes together very quickly and makes for a tasty light meal.  The lime juice keeps the avocado nice and green and adds some fresh flavor.  I find that I have leftover rice when I make this, but I would rather use the full can of coconut milk rather than have half a can languishing in my fridge.  The leftover rice can be eaten with beans or just by itself for a snack.

While this would make for a wonderful quick meal in summer, I thoroughly enjoyed a taste of the tropics on a cold January day the last time I made this.

Avocado Mango Salsa with Coconut Rice
Yield: serves 2 as a main dish, with leftover rice

For the coconut rice:
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Jasmine rice
1 3/4 cups water
1 14 oz. can coconut milk
3/4 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar

Directions:
In a small saucepan, combine all of the ingredients.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

For the salsa:
Ingredients:
1 avocado, diced
1-2 roma tomatoes, diced
1 mango, diced
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion, or to taste
Juice of one lime
Salt, to taste
Garlic powder, to taste
Dash of cayenne pepper or hot sauce (optional)

Black beans, for serving

Directions:
Gently mix all salsa ingredients together.  Serve over coconut rice with black beans on the side.

Source: very slightly adapted from my friend, Jessica




No comments:

Post a Comment