Thursday, July 24, 2014

Strawberry Shortcake


This summer I decided I wanted to find "the best" strawberry shortcake recipe.  I searched online and in cookbooks and decided to give a biscuit-type shortcake a try.  I didn't love it.  I knew I didn't want a chewy angel food-type of cake.  I eventually decided to make a recipe I've had tucked away in my paper mess of recipes for almost a decade.  I knew I liked this cake once upon a time, but wasn't sure how I would like it now.  Well, after looking around for something better, I've realized my favorite Strawberry Shortcake recipe was at my fingertips the whole time.  The cake is not overly sweet, and the texture is perfect in combination with the strawberries and cream.

Strawberry Shortcake
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
3/4 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup milk
Sliced strawberries (If strawberries are not very sweet, sprinkle the sliced strawberries with sugar and let sit 20-30 minutes.)
Sweetened whipped cream

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease an 8x8 pan with butter or cooking spray.

2. In a small bowl mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder. 

3. Cream together the butter and sugar using a wooden spoon.  Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well.  Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk and stir until combined.

4. Bake for 28-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool completely on a wire rack.  Serve with strawberry slices and whipped cream.

Source: adapted from an old recipe in my files (I believe I found it online years ago, sorry I cannot give better credit.)

1 comment: