Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pumpkin Oat Muffins


I was aimlessly walking down the baking aisle at Target a few weeks ago when I spotted cans of pumpkin.  I threw one into my cart and when I got home left it out on my counter instead of putting it away.  Every time my eyes fell on that pumpkin, I got more and more excited for all the fun baking there is to do in the fall.  


When I finally opened up that can it was to make one of my favorite muffins of all time--pumpkin oatmeal muffins.  Although there are so many delicious baked goods to make with pumpkin, a lot of them are heavy on sugar and fat.  It's so fun to have a baked good full of fall flavor that is also healthy.   


Of course, if you are in the mood for a little more chocolate in your life you could make these a little more fun (and a little less healthy) by adding some chocolate chips.  I added some mini chocolate chips and made some mini muffins for the little people in my life.

Pumpkin Oat Muffins
Yields about 14 regular-sized muffins (I usually make 12 mini muffins and then about 10 regular-sized)
Ingredients:
2 cups quick oats
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat)
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup buttermilk (can sub 3/8 cup plain yogurt, 3/8 cup milk)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons canola oil
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Coat muffin pan with cooking spray.  

Whisk together the dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, buttermilk (or yogurt and milk), eggs and oil.  Add pumpkin mixture all at once to oat mixture.  Stir just until moistened (do not overmix).  If desired, add walnuts and/or chocolate chips.

Spoon batter into muffin cups.  Bake regular-sized muffins for 15-20 minutes (10-12 minutes for mini), or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out almost clean.  Cool in pan for five minutes, then remove muffins from pans and place on wire rack to cool.  

Source:  adapted from www.jennyruns.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment