Saturday, September 28, 2013

Almond French Toast


Here's another winner recipe introduced to me by my #1 recipe source--my mom!  She made this for us one day when we were visiting a few years ago.  I've made it a few times since, and every time I marvel at how good french toast can taste.  It's fluffy and has a wonderful almond flavor, but it's the crunchy almond-crusted exterior that really makes this great.

Whenever I make french bread I make two loaves at once, and this is a perfect way to use up some french bread that's getting a bit stale.


Almond French Toast
Ingredients:
1 cup sliced or slivered almonds
3 eggs
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12 thick slices French bread
3 tablespoons butter (to melt in pan for cooking)

Directions:
1. Spread almonds in a small skillet over low heat.  Tossing frequently, toast until lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes.  Remove from heat.  Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour, salt, baking powder, almond extract and vanilla extract.  Soak bread slices in the mixture until saturated.

3. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  One at a time, press one side of soaked bread slices in the almonds to coat.  Cook bread slices on both sides until golden brown.  Continue until all slices are cooked, melting an additional tablespoon of butter in the pan before cooking each batch.  Serve with maple syrup.

Source: allrecipes.com via my mom

2 comments:

  1. Lucy, i was looking through your posts today to find something to make and it hit me. You should be a did photographer! Or online food critic/photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy, i was looking through your posts today to find something to make and it hit me. You should be a did photographer! Or online food critic/photographer.

    ReplyDelete