Friday, September 27, 2013

Coconut Almond Granola



A few years ago my mom gave me her recipe for granola.  I made it, loved it, and eventually misplaced the paper it was written on.  (One of the reasons I am now recording recipes on this blog.)  I found a very similar recipe on Mel's Kitchen Cafe and started using that one.  And then I found out another friend of mine who makes delicious granola also uses virtually the same recipe.  It's not often that I get almost the exact same recipe from three independent sources, and I feel pretty loyal to this granola recipe--and since I love trying new recipes, that's saying a lot.

Coconut Almond Granola
Note: I've adapted the mix-ins in this recipe to suit my tastes (replacing the cashews with extra almonds, omitting the raisins, etc.).  Granola is very adaptable. Also, I usually double this recipe and bake it in two large rimmed baking sheets.  
Ingredients:
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups whole almonds, chopped (some can be left whole to add texture)
3/4 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar (I have also used light brown sugar and it's still delicious)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut and brown sugar.  In a separate bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt.  Slowly pour the liquid mixture over the oatmeal mixture while stirring.  Continue to stir until well combined.

Spread evenly in an 11x17-inch rimmed baking sheet.  Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring halfway through baking, until golden.  Remove from oven and stir again to break up any large clumps.  Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Source: adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe, and a recipe from my mom



No comments:

Post a Comment