Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Peach Puff Pancake


When I was growing up my dad would often be hard at work at church meetings before the rest of us had to leave on Sunday morning.  That left my mom to get me and my four siblings ready for church.  Now that I have three young ones myself, I understand better that getting kids ready for church is no small task! Looking back, I now realize that this Peach Puff Pancake was my mom's secret weapon to get us up and fed on time on Sunday mornings.  Rather than just announcing it was time to get up, we would hear her call out, "Peach puff is ready!"  That got us up and to the breakfast table in record time.  Genius.

We loved this peachy version of German pancakes--especially since we got to sprinkle some powdered sugar on our individual slices.  My mom always used canned peaches, and I have always made it that way as well.  But this time I decided to experiment with fresh peaches.  How can I used canned when fresh summer peaches are on sale for 68 cents a pound?  I can now report that this hot breakfast is delicious either way.  It is quite quick to prepare, though using fresh peaches does increase the prep time because of the peeling and slicing involved.

Should someone in your life need a little extra help getting out of bed in the morning, grab a bowl and a whisk and give this unassuming little peach puff a try.  As for how to get kids to get dressed and brush their teeth without asking them dozens of times--you're on your own there.



Peach Puff Pancake
Ingredients:
6 tablespoons butter
6 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 29-ounce can sliced peaches, drained or 2 cups fresh peach slices

Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Melt butter in baking dish in the oven.  

In a large bowl, beat the eggs slightly with a whisk or electric mixer.  Add flour, sugar, salt, milk and vanilla and whisk or beat until smooth.  

Stir peaches into butter in the baking dish; return to oven for 2-3 minutes or until sizzling.  

Pour batter over peaches.  Bake for about 20 minutes or until puffed and golden.  Garnish with powdered sugar and serve immediately. 

No comments:

Post a Comment