Monday, July 8, 2013

Candied Coconut Pecan Sweet Potatoes


When asked about my favorite dish, I have been known to answer with just one word: "Thanksgiving."  There wasn't any one food on my plate at Thanksgiving I could claim as a favorite, just the whole combination.  I love the taste combinations of it all, plus vibrant colors that often make an appearance at a typical Thanksgiving dinner--the deep red of cranberry sauce, green beans, and of course bright orange sweet potatoes.  I like the marshmallow-covered sweet potato casseroles, but this version with coconut and pecans is definitely my new favorite.  I typically do not make a pecan or coconut cream pie on Thanksgiving, so I love that this side dish offers some pecan and coconut flavor.
The pecans and coconut get slightly toasted while baking, which sends this side dish over the top.  After finding this recipe I may have to admit that I do have a favorite part of my Thanksgiving dinner.

Candied Coconut Pecan Sweet Potatoes
Note: You can make the sweet potato mixture a day or two ahead of time.  Just keep it well covered in the fridge and put the topping on just before baking.  
Ingredients:
For the filling:
2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (2 medium sweet potatoes or about 1 large sized can)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon butter, softened
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

For the topping:
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sweetened coconut
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter

Directions:
If using fresh sweet potatoes, preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Prick each sweet potato with a fork and place on foil in oven.  Bake for 40-60 minutes or until tender.

When they are cool enough to handle, slice each sweet potato in half and scoop out the insides into a mixing bowl.  Add the sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, egg, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla.  Mix with an electric mixer until desired consistency is reached.  I like to leave some of the sweet potato in larger chunks.

Spread the mixture evenly into an 8x8 pan.  (You can cover and refrigerate at this point if desired.)

For the topping, combine the brown sugar, coconut, pecans and melted butter.  Sprinkle evenly over the sweet potato mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until bubbly and the top is browned.

Source: adapted from ourbestbites.com

No comments:

Post a Comment