Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Sloppy Joes (Crock Pot)


I just love recipes from friends.  A friend I lived close to years ago gave me this sloppy joe recipe, and I think of her whenever I make this.  It's a tasty sloppy joe that comes together quickly and then waits patiently in the crock pot until we're ready to eat.  Crock pot meals never fail to make my day go so much more smoothly. 

Sloppy Joes (Crock Pot)
Yield: Serves about 8
Ingredients:
2 teaspoons canola oil
2 1/2 lbs ground turkey (or ground beef, if you prefer)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup mustard
4 tablespoons white vinegar
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 green pepper, chopped
Hamburger buns, for serving

Directions:
1. In a large skillet heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the ground turkey, onion and garlic.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is brown and onion is tender.  Drain. 

2. In a crock pot, combine the ketchup, water, brown sugar, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and chili powder.  Stir until combined.  Stir in the green pepper and the meat mixture.  Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 3-4 hours.  Serve on hamburger buns.

Source: adapted from my friend, Rachel A.

No comments:

Post a Comment