Monday, June 17, 2013

Sour Cream Cucumbers


This is another family recipe that gives away my Eastern European heritage.  I don't know many other people who would mix sour cream and paprika with their cucumbers.  But it really works!

I remember my mom making this occasionally and I've never had anything else quite like it.  This makes for a creamy, crunchy side dish with a little kick of flavor from the vinegar.  Every so often nothing else will do, and I just want my fill of this tasty side salad.

Sour Cream Cucumbers
Ingredients:
2 cucumbers
2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. vinegar
3 tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
Paprika, for garnish

Directions:
Peel cucumbers and cut in half lengthwise.  Slice about 1/8-inch thick.  Place cucumbers in a bowl and sprinkle with the salt.  Let stand 30 minutes.  Press the slices between your hands to release as much liquid as possible.  Discard the liquid and place the cucumbers in a bowl.  Mix the vinegar, water, sugar and pepper in a small bowl and pour over cucumbers.  Fold in the sour cream and sprinkle paprika on top to garnish.  Refrigerate until serving.

Recipe from my mom (Thanks, Mom!)

No comments:

Post a Comment