Friday, June 28, 2013

Blackberry Pie Bars



After making Raspberry Pie Bars using frozen raspberries, I was excited to try the original version of the recipe for Blackberry Pie Bars.  The next time I was at Costco I got some blackberries and whipped up these bars.  I love how the big, fresh berries keep their shape while baking.  I'm glad to have a great recipe for blackberries in case I ever find myself in the fortunate position of having an abundance of blackberries at my disposal.  

This time I used Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, since that is what I had on hand. I also left out the sliced almonds that I had used in the raspberry version.  I slightly overbaked the bars this time.  When prebaking a crust that will be baked again, I really have to remember not to overbake the first time they go in the oven!  

If I absolutely had to pick a favorite, I would have to choose the raspberry bars, but it's nice to know these will work with either berry that is available.



Blackberry Pie Bars
Ingredients:
For the crust and topping:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
Pinch of salt
Zest of half a lemon
3/4 cup (12 tbsp.) unsalted butter, cold

For the filling:
2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
16 ounces fresh blackberries (or frozen blackberries, thawed and drained)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line an 8x8-inch or 9x9-inch pan with foil and grease lightly.  Combine the flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest in a medium-sized bowl.  Cut the butter into small cubes and add to the dry ingredients.  Cut the butter into the dry ingredients using a butter knife or pastry blender until only small pieces of butter remain and the mixture is crumbly.  (This can also be done in short pulses in a food processor.)

2. Reserve 3/4 cup of the mixture for topping the bars.  Add the rest of the mixture to the prepared pan and press to form an even layer.  Bake 12-15 minutes, until light golden.  Let cool 10-15 minutes.

3. In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, sour cream, flour, salt, lemon juice and vanilla.  Whisk until smooth.  Gently stir in the drained raspberries with a spatula.  Spread the filling mixture over the pre-baked crust.  Sprinkle the reserved topping mixture evenly over the filling.

4. Bake until the top is beginning to brown and the bars are just set, 45-50 minutes.  Let cool completely on a wire rack.  Chill to firm up before slicing and serving.

Recipe from The Pastry Queen by Rebecca Rather, via Pink Parsley, as seen on annies-eats.com



No comments:

Post a Comment