Thursday, June 22, 2017

Corn Muffins


I used to only think to make corn muffins or cornbread when having chili, but I've recently discovered what a great accompaniment they make to main dish salads in the summer.  I like cornbread, but I think I like corn muffins even better.  The slightly crisped and browned edges are the best part.  Sometimes I like to make these with the corn kernels, sometimes without.  They're delicious either way!

Corn Muffins
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups four (I often use 3/4 c. whole wheat, 3/4 c. all-purpose)
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup canned corn kernels, drained

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease or line 12 muffin cups.

2. In a large bowl cream together, butter, sugar, honey and eggs.  Make a well in the center, then add the flour, cornmeal, salt and baking powder..  Mix the dry ingredients together, then briefly stir to partially incorporate the dry ingredients into the butter mixture.  Add the milk and corn, if using.  Stir just until all ingredients are incorporated.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. (This may take slightly less time if the corn kernels are omitted.)

Source: slightly adapted from www.allrecipes.com

1 comment: