Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Cornbread Stuffing with Apple and Bacon



My friend started describing to me this cornbread stuffing she makes, and the more I heard about it the better it sounded.  This is a fun new way for me to enjoy fall flavors--in stuffing form.  I tend to associate cornbread with fall and winter, since I usually make it to have with chili, and this recipe makes wonderful use of leftover cornbread from chili night.  While one of the pleasures of fall is making a snack out of a fresh apple or enjoying sweet apple baked treats, it's so fun to incorporate apples into dinner as well.

Cornbread Stuffing with Apple and Bacon
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 apple, chopped
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
Salt and pepper, to taste
3 cups crumbled cornbread

Directions:
Preheat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add bacon and cook for 2 minutes.  Add apple, celery, and onion and season with the sage, thyme, salt and pepper.  Reduce heat to medium.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add the crumbled cornbread and stir to combine.

Source: slightly adapted from Rachel Ray via my friend, Sara


No comments:

Post a Comment