Thursday, May 22, 2014

Blueberry (or Raspberry) Oatmeal Muffins


There are many things I enjoy about the changing of the seasons, and enjoying seasonal fruits and vegetables would definitely make the top of the list.  Every summer I look forward to watermelon, corn on the cob, peaches, fresh tomatoes, etc.  Fall gets me all excited about pumpkin and butternut squash.  And when I spotted berries on sale this past week, I couldn't be more excited to make the most of berry season.  I bought blueberries and raspberries and in a last-minute stroke of inspiration decided to add them to some of the muffins I was making for dinner.

I have long enjoyed these Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins that I posted previously.  This week I baked up some plain to please the non-adventurous eaters in my household, (and I indulged in a plain muffin slathered with peanut butter) but I loved the berry versions as well.  Now I'm wondering what other add-ins would work well with this wonderful base recipe.  I'm thinking a raspberry/dark chocolate chip version would be a very good idea.

Blueberry (or Raspberry) Oatmeal Muffins
Yield: about 20 muffins
Ingredients:
2 cups quick oats
2 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 cups flour (this time I used 100% white whole wheat flour with great results)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2-2 cups blueberries or raspberries

Directions:
1. In a large bowl, soak oats in the buttermilk for 15 minutes.

2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line muffin tins with paper liners or grease with cooking spray.

3. Stir the eggs, sugar and melted butter into the oatmeal/buttermilk mixture.  Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Stir slightly, then add berries and gently stir until just combined.  

4. Fill the muffin cups three-fourths full.  Bake for 13-16 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.  Cool for 5 minutes in the pan before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

Source: adapted from a recipe I found years ago on allrecipes.com--I can no longer find the link to the original recipe, but this one is very similar

No comments:

Post a Comment